[MUD-Dev] Containing automation?

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Mon Jul 26 21:40:30 CEST 1999

On Fri 23 Jul, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Marian Griffith wrote:

> > I think the assumption exists because until fairly recently adventure
> > was the only thing you could do on -muds-.  Players had to follow  or
> > find other games. The result was, as you can expect, that only people
> > who want to adventure are found on muds.  Only with games like Ultima
> > Online and Furcadia do we have games that are mud-like but do not ha-
> > ve that exclusion of anything but adventuring and combat.

> Not sure what you mean by "MUD", but you undermine this viewpoint in a la=
ter
> message referring to MOOs and what not.  Besides, LPs and DIKUs may provi=
de
> building as an activity. Then you have Alphaworld, The Palace,
> Habitat/WorldsAway...  No hack'n'slash there.

Yes, but for the most part they did not have combat at all. You had two
types of game  (roughly speaking,  as I am no expert  on the history of
muds) games where you had to kill things and games where you had to co-
de gadgets and talk to each other. Games where you could do more than a
single thing where rare and far between.

Marian
--=20
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,