[MUD-Dev] Re[2]: [MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Wed Jun 2 21:34:31 CEST 1999

On Wednesday, June 02, 1999, Jp Calderone wrote:

> Travis S. Casey wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>> How can "get the red box" be misunderstood, unless there is more than one
>> red box in the area?  Or "put the red sword in the box on the table"?
>> (Again, unless there's more than one sword, or more than one box on the
>> table, or more than one table that has a box on it.)
>>
> [snip]

> Point for the ambiguity argument - Does "put the red sword in the box on
> the
> table" mean put the red sword you are holding/carrying in the box on the
> table or put the red sword that is in the box onto the table?

Unless both red swords exist, it means whichever one makes sense in
the situation.  That's why I made the parenthetical comment I did.

If you're carrying a red sword and there's one in the box, either the
mud can ask you for clarification, or the command language could
support a way to make it clear in the initial command -- e.g.,

  put red sword in (box on table)
  put (red sword in box) on table

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>