[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Jp Calderone exarkun at flashmail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:11:00 CEST 1999

Martin C Sweitzer wrote:

> Excerpts from mud-dev: 2-Jun-99 Re: [MUD-Dev] Text Parsing by Cynbe ru
> Taren at muq.org
> > useful for flattening the initial learning curve.  To the best of my
> > knowledge.  ("bag.2" or "bag2" "bag 2" would probably be preferred to
> > "2.bag" though, imho.)
>
> I think the only reason for this is because you can easily increase the number.
>
> ie
>
> get 2.bag   vs get bag.2
>
> with the latter it is much easier to increment/decrement the bag number
> (ie when looking or placing things into specific bags)  That is what you
> care about when doing this usually.
>
> up arrow
> delete
> increase number
> return
>
> vs
>
> uparrow
> right arrow * numLetterItem
> increase number
> return
>
> msew

Personally, I prefer the diku-style 2.bag.  Keystroke count isn't an
issue,
either... The second could just as easily been:

up arrow
ctrl + right arrow
delete
increase number
return

making it constant time (instead of linear based on item name letter
count (: ),
assuming you have a client that implements up and right arrow on the
input
end... I use telnet myself, making this next very useful...
A replacement system (circle uses ^oldstr^newstr),
thusly:

get sword 2.bag
^2^3;^3^4;^4^5

gets a sword from bags 2-5.  Not bad?  Maybe I am just one of those
unixy-style command type people...  To me, the interface doesn't need to
be
overly pretty, it only needs to get my desire across.

--
A sad spectacle.  If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and
folly.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu