[MUD-Dev] Rooms

Fri Jun 4 23:26:24 CEST 1999

[Greg Munt:]

> Is the choice nothing more than co-ordinates, or rooms, or both? Or are
> there other alternatives? By how much can the room concept be extended from
> the StockMUD implementation - if at all? For those who have implemented
> their own worlds, what system have you used, and would be interested in
> discussing them, here on this list?

I've done two, and want to do another, variant of this. The simple
location graphics in my MUD are all top-down. For some areas that I've
built custom graphics for, I use one picture for a set of close-by rooms.
Each room maintains the coordinates within the picture at which the
character's cursor should be displayed. But really, its all room-based
underneath. I also have an area that is fully coordinate-based - the
images presented to the user are generated by looking at neighbouring
cells at the same level and drawing an appropriately coloured rectangle.
It works, buts its pretty basic.

What I'd like to do is use fractal terrain generation techniques to
produce the global map of the world. Then I want to use more room-like
techniques within areas that are roughly character-sized. This is
still not yet done, however. Taking one's MUD server apart tends to slow
down progress on scenario-type things. :-(

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu