[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 22:07:39 CEST 1999

> [Matt Mihaly]
>
>Ahh. See, as I explained, issues like "realism" are expendable as far as
>Achaea's combat goes. All these "shoulds" you have don't make a lot of
>sense to me, unless you assume that everyone's mud is essentially the
>same. I'm starting to be sorry I ever attempted to explain our combat
>system, as there seems to be no understanding of it, and lots of
>misunderstanding (maybe my fault for not explaining it well enough).

The above indicates a direction in which the list as a whole might take, and
which would ultimately result in a cliquey bunch of developers who dismiss
any idea or concept, out of hand, because it doesn't match *their*
perception of what a mud SHOULD be.

If MUD-Dev turns cliquey, there is little point in its existence. Do we need
to draw up a list of definitions of what a mud has to be, and that anyone
attempting to develop software that falls outside of these definitions is
ridiculed and belittled, in an attempt to stop a pollution of the ideas of
the community that is the list subscribership?

Yes, much is made on this list, of complex worlds, that demand so-called
'realism'. Just remember that there are some members who actually want to
open their muds, and still more who want to attract players to them.

When does 'different' become 'wrong'?

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu