[MUD-Dev] realism

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 7 02:22:17 CEST 1999

On 6 Jun 99,, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> Thoughts on the nature of realism in MUDs.
>
> A few people have mentioned 'realism' as if MUDs need to be a simulation
> of some artificial reality, complete with consistency, etc. I would argue
> that this is not only necessary, but that it is impossible. True
> consistency would concist
---This thought seems to have been abruptly interrupted. :)

Let me jump on your thought by saying... yes, some people want, need, and
desire that their muds radiate an aura, a smell, a vision, or a feeling
which causes the user to become enspelled, ensnared and ensorcerelled in
another reality of sorts.  We also _know_ it is impossible to implement
an alternate reality that is fully consistent and/or perceived as
consistent by all others; or most others; or even just a smattering
others. Some of us may even be able to mathematically prove the futility
of such a thing.

I suppose that anyone designing a mud is trying to capture something.  It
could be a large playerbase, it could be money, it could be just plain
fun, it could be coolness, complexity, a social thing, a technical
acheivement, to please others, to please oneself, or just a desire to
express some warped vision in a more solid form.

So discussing how muds should be or ought to be is like a group of
artists discussing how to capture woman on canvas.  Technical
information, techniques, ideas and other items of value may be freely
exchanged among them; but in the end, Renoir, Rossetti, Warhol,
Botticelli, Picasso, Titian and Beardsley will put her to canvas and
then post on mud_dev claiming this _is_ woman.

And this is good. ;)

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com             *--
--*     Mud Server Developer's Page <http://pw1.netcom.com/~jlsysinc>      *--