[MUD-Dev] What about goal oriented interfaces? (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Text Parsing)

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Mon Jun 7 11:09:16 CEST 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Chris Gray wrote:
> I *hate* the 'use' command, even though I have one. It lets the user
> just try random things, without having any explicit action in mind.

Hey, that thing was a lifesaver on some of the old adventure games I
used to play.  Just stand near the [locked door|ravine|evil dragon] that
you had to get past and do a "use" on every one of your inventory items.

My favorite was the time I typed, "use pole" and my character walked back,
took a running start, and pole-vaulted over the lava-filled ravine I was trying
to get past.  Took my completely by surprise - I was thinking more of laying
the pole across the ravine and trying to walk across it.

Adam W.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu