[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jun 7 19:53:18 CEST 1999

On 12:26 AM 6/8/99 +0200, I personally witnessed Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad
jumping up to say:
>Marian Griffith wrote:
>> Unless I am very mistaken Dr.Cat said "Attention is the currency of the
>> future".
>
>I thought that was a rhetoric phrase...  Like "suits".  I still don't
>understand the exact content. Examples would be nice.

We're not individuals anymore.=20

We're all faceless, nameless, and identical. We're identified by numbers on
checks, credit cards, insurance policies, social security cards, drivers
licenses. Fingerprints. Blood samples. Dental records. We long ago shifted
from being individuals to being communities, then to being demographics,
and then to being markets. The entire point of human existence in modern
life is to become one of the good consumers, one of the productive people
who fits into this big machine we've built across the world and gets a
paycheck every two weeks that he goes out and spends on things he doesn't
need so big faceless companies can make more things he doesn't need and
then convince him through blatant and time-honored manipulation tactics
that he does *too* need it and should buy one right NOW.=20

The whole problem with modern life is that we're all fundamentally just
0.000000000001% of a statistic.

In the face of all this, it's really nice just to believe for a few seconds
that some other human being actually gives more than a mouse fart in a high
wind whether you live or die.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu