[MUD-Dev] Games within Games [Was: Gender and Mud Development]

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Wed Jun 9 17:38:07 CEST 1999

Kristen Koster wrote:
> We've also traditionally held "flag hunts" to encourage exploration. We've
> talked about various capture the flag variations as well, but suspect those
> would work best amongst the pkill crowd.

It's traditional for the EmlenMUDs to have easter events, either easter
egg hunts (for prizes) or kill the easter bunnies and take the prizes
off the corpse. Of course, things get complicated when the eggs/bunnies
are deep in enemy territory, so it can be best to take your friends with
you :)

> Trivia is another popular past time when they're bored with hacking and
> slashing.

AA has this one routinely.

> Themes are always good. Even for those who claim they despise roleplaying. =)

I'd assume themes are big with simulationists of all sorts.

> Wow.. that ended up longer than I had originally intended... =) Guess
> that's a good thing tho, huh? Btw, LegendMUD has always strived for the
> impossible -- a nice balance between Bartle's suits. Some days you win..
> some you don't.

It's never really seemed to me that Bartle's break-down of players
matched the players I've known very well, and I'm not so sure I'd want
to try to appeal to every type of player.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu