[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jun 10 00:03:54 CEST 1999

On 09:43 PM 6/9/99 -0700, I personally witnessed Matthew Mihaly jumping up
to say:

>Actually, this sounds like sort of the opposite of what JC is talking
>about. A good example of what he is talking about is the game of Life (not
>the board game).

Well... um... I don't really see the difference.

>Defining what the outcome is going to be is sort of the opposite of this
>sort of thing.

I'm not defining the outcome, really. I'm defining a small series of
variables which have predictable ranges. These variables in turn depend on
each other in different ways -- which gives you a very complex system with
a huge amount of apparent variation, when you're really just shifting a
couple hundred variables according to very simple formulae. It *looks* like
there are thousands upon thousands of things changing in a very complicated
series of interdependencies, but there are really just a couple hundred of
them changing independently and affecting each other in play.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu