[MUD-Dev] memory and speed

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Fri Jun 11 02:30:34 CEST 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:28:31 -0700 (PDT)
> Matthew Mihaly <diablo at best.com> wrote:
>
> > We tripled our memory today, from 128 megs to 384 megs, but we
> > seem to actually have slowed down. In fact, adding more memory has
> > definitely slowed us down. Some tasks are taking nearly twice as
> > long as before. This is extremely upsetting, to say the
> > least. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> What kernel rev are you running?

2.2.1

> Do you have the large memory patch installed, and/or does your
> kernel correctly find all the memory? (cf LILO options)

I don't know unfortunately about the large memory patch. Could you give me
more info about this? I don't do any of the messing around with linux on
our server. I let mudservices handle that. I would like to ask them about
the large memory patch, however. As for the kernel finding the memory,
yes, it seems to. When I did TOP, it found all 384 megs.

> Does the problem resolve if you now remove the memory?

Yes, it does.

> What version of libc/glibc?

I don't even know what these are, sadly.
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu