[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Fri Jun 11 21:59:03 CEST 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:
> Not what I wanted.  Every percentage feedback tweak or intersection
> with an other in-game feedback system either ran towards TC
> exctinction, on further unconstrained growth.  Neither is of course
> acceptable.  I spent a *LONG* time diddling values and adding more
> tweaks and twiddles to try and smooth out the lmit points, all
> without good effect.  <ugliness>

Considered using genetic evolution for those values?  You can get mutation
based evolution fairly cheap by adding some nonuniform noise (e.g.
bellshaped distribution such as gaussian) to the coefficients of the
parent.  Provided you have some way of measuring success, of course.

> I'm not pleased, but I also haven't given up even if I have to
> artificially constrain the population model.  I'm toying now with
> the idea of TC predators who have two survival modes, one based on
> reasonable TC populations, and another massively TC consumptive one
> based on run-away TC or TC-spore populations.

What about diseases?  With a large population there will be more contact,
thus disease could be effective.  Could be interesting with immunity as
well.  Your spores could contain a time value which protect them from old
diseases.  (Or you could use genetic evolution of a bitstrings for both
diseases and immunity, but that is probably more hassle than it is worth)

Maybe fleas with disease.  Fleas wake up when touched by TC, but doesn't
attack.  If it is touched again within some timespan it will attack,
multiply (time delayed) and sleep.  Flea children spread out to neighbouring
areas.  (thus when density increase the flea minefield unfolds..)  How to
kill fleas?  Assign nonuniform lifespans (many short, a few long) and use
starvation?  Thus there will be nasty fleas waiting in areas where TC
density has been high, but not everywhere.
--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu