[MUD-Dev] Games within Games [Was: Gender and Mud Development]

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jun 11 23:01:10 CEST 1999

On Fri 11 Jun, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> On 9 Jun 99,, Kristen Koster wrote:

> Dunno why I suggested Karoake.  Performances of songs, poetry readings,
> and plays would be interesting.  A client that has the feature of
> nice timed chunks to the room would help.  Sort of like textual
> PowerPoint presentations.  Or waiting on another actor .. mmm...
> inserting sounds :))

This reminds me of a class I once suggested  (and which I still think
would be a lot of fun to play). Of course the imms of that particular
mud thought it would not work too well.  They probably were right but
still, it would have been fun.

The idea is that a player can, at any point choose to join this class
of 'entertainers'. When they do so their equipment is stored for them
and all their skills are temporarily forgotten.  In addition they get
a huge debt.  In exchange the players get to choose from a variety of
entertainer skills,  depending on  their current level.  These skills
have no practical application as far as killing creatures is concern-
ed but instead allow the player to do things like acting, temporarily
change descs on themselves, rooms and other players,  and a whole lot
of other things.
Until the players repay their debt to the entertainers guild they can
not gain experience,  but as soon as they do  they automatically gain
one level,  and regain their money, equipment and old skills.  In es-
sence the players can buy levels but they will have to be creative in
acquiring the money because they can not go out and collect it.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey