[MUD-Dev] Game construction and a big mistake

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Sun Jun 13 18:56:59 CEST 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 Willowreed at aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone worked with a historical MOO at all? I have seen a lot of
> futuristic ones or ones based on a nether time somewhere, but what about say,
> the Elizabethan era? or the civil war era, or anything historical like that?

Nope.

Tho you might find it encouraging to know that multiplayer games based on
something players can vaguely relate to tend to have a friendlier
atmosphere.  Watch a bunch play Quake and then watch the same bunch
attempt some WWII dogfights (European Airwar?).  Admittedly, the pace was
much slower but the general mood was lighter ("Tally-ho and all that me
old bean!").  Maybe it depends on the gamers.

The downfall of historical venues is that they can be a bit
cultural-centric.  I couldn't care less about the American Civil War (for
eaxmple).

Lately, I've had a fetish for steampunk (Victorians if they had discovered
space travel involving firing men out of cannons and the difference
engine).  The Victorian era has the advantage in being culturally rich.
Unfortunately, the word 'odd' comes into play.

_O_O_  kllo at iee.org

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu