[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #105 - 12 msgs

Fri Jun 18 08:05:13 CEST 1999

["Dr. Cat":]

> You know...  It seems to me that a lot of the discussion on the list
> about languages sounds similar to what I imagine discussions would sound
> like about designing general-purpose programming languages.  While that's
> educational, and many of the same issues arise in making efficient
> special-purpose languages...  I think one point is being missed, in
> that 99.999% of the language design here seems to be aimed solely at
> an audience of programmers.

[Big snip of language patterns]

> You'd have a hard time sieving for prime numbers with this language...
> But making something fun isn't hard at all.  :X)

Yup! You'd also have a hard time in doing anything in terms of creating
the world in it. That's why I think there should be (at least!) 2
languages in the MUD. One to create the world (softcoding), and one
for scripting. I have pretty firm ideas about what I want in a softcoding
language, but I'm quite interested in thoughts, like Dr. Cat's, as to
what should be in a scripting language.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu