[MUD-Dev] Interesting dilemma

Mik Clarke mikclrk at ibm.net
Mon May 3 21:51:04 CEST 1999

Peck, Matthew x96724c1 wrote:

> I am currently facing an interesting and complicated dilemma in my mud.  The
> problem is what I call "Illegal Equipment."
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

What I currently do with monsters (and will eventually do with equipment) is to
use a descriptive 'nature' field in place of hit dice, mana dice, armor class
etc...  The field accepts values like 'strong weak viscious puny smart dumb' and
then constructs the monsters attributes based upon them, using the flags to
provide a deviation from an 'average' monster of that level.  The same could
probably be done for equipment (maybe with modifiers for material).  Some sort
of cost system for enchantment might also be helpful.  With mobs it lets me put
some random variationon the mobs level when it is created and has let me
introduce an MPRELEV command which changes a mobs level (and opens the
possability of adaptive levels, where the mobs change their strength to give the
player a challange).

To get rid of old equipment, you either normalize it when you convert to the new
'nature' system, add a few spells/monsters that destroy a lot of equipment or
simply offer a bounty for them.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu