[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Emil Eifrem emil at prophecy.lu
Thu May 6 20:42:39 CEST 1999

At 10:48 PM 5/2/99 , Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
[About custom server people:]
>It would be interesting to see what you are doing and where you are going!!
>A mud-dev custom status quo, sort of.  Please share!

Our Jamu project [www.javamud.org, but don't go there yet, the site was
designed and written by me and is pretty crappy... in two or so months we
will unveil our far superior *real* website, which won't reflect the state
of the project 12 months ago like the current one does :)] is after two
years of planning slowly starting to move. We're still behind schedule, of
course, but things are finally accelerating.

Technically, our server design is heavily inspired by general discussions
here on the MUD-Dev and particularly DevMUD list -- we use a modular
architecture with separate code entities (modules) that can be dynamically
attached and detached from a static kernel. I believe my implementation (or
try at implementation) is maybe more object oriented than DevMUD and mainly
inspired by early ideas from some OO proponents on the list (Niklas
Elmqvist and others, IIRC).

Lately I've beginning to doubt this modular approach. It sounds very good
in concept and on an abstract level, but when you get down to some real
code it's partly really messy and troublesome. That's probably a result of
flawed design decisions on my end, though, it's the first time I build a
system of this magnitude. I've been toying with the idea of writing down my
overall design decisions and post it to the list for comments but never
gotten around to it.=20

You'd all probably laugh anyway. ;)

Emil Eifrem [emil at prophecy.lu || www.prophecy.lu/~emil]
Implementor of Prophecy [telnet://mud.prophecy.lu:4000]
Coordinator of the Jamu effort [http://www.javamud.org]
                                              - - - - ]

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu