[MUD-Dev] Blending graphics with text

J C Lawrence claw at varesearch.com
Tue May 11 17:53:42 CEST 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:32:16 -0400 (EDT)
u1391470  <u1391470 at csi.uottawa.ca> wrote:

> Each position in the zone is associated with a room (for flags
> etc), because of memory constraints. Given the number of
> "coordinates" (ie.  unique locations a person can move within the
> world), we found it to be too memory intensive for each to have
> its own structure.

The normal solution to this is to farm the structures out to disk
via a database or persistent store.  Both ways have advantages.  The
savings over having to keep everything in RAM (even with VM and
Linux's VM system ain't too wonderful) can be considerable.

> Of course, by removing all/most text (the more graphics we are
> able to create, the less text we would need), we are "moving away"
> from the whole concept of a mud, regardless of our base.

Is a MUD necessarily text based?

J C Lawrence                                   Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                Linux/IA64 - Work: claw at varesearch.com
 ... Beware of cromagnons wearing chewing gum and palm pilots ...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu