[MUD-Dev] Blending graphics with text

Wed May 12 19:18:55 CEST 1999

[J C Lawrence:]

> In my old Shades days I rebound the numeric pad to
> N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW/N with INS and DEL acting as U/D.  It worked
> fairly well.  More recently I've found that I'm not happy with the
> implicit compass directions (you have a compass embedded in your
> skull?), and the resulting lack of directional confusion, and have
> been tempted to go for a forward/right/back/left-type semantic.

You can still use a keypad that way. Just bind the 2, 4, 6, and 8
keys to the obvious functions. Also, if you choose to make character
orientation significant, just rotate the on-screen view, rather than
rotating the character icon. That way, the user can still use the
keypad in a natural way. I've seen a surprising number of people that
get left and right mixed up all the time. Relying on doing it right
will reduce your audience.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu