[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Chris Turner christ at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu May 13 11:26:24 CEST 1999

Previous, Ola Fosheim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=F8stad?= wrote,

> So, what are you custom server guys doing?  Have you been able to stick to
> your vision, or has it changed?  I see that Ben keeps pushing ScryMUD, but
> what about Jon and the roleplaying supporting client, JC, Caliban, Ling,
> Yospe and all the others?  Are you "pushing" (implementing) or "butching"
> (redesigning)?
>
> It would be interesting to see what you are doing and where you are going!!
> A mud-dev custom status quo, sort of.  Please share!

Well the last time I de-lurked, my design was stable, practical and I'd
managed to get a fair chunk of it done.  Then I spoke to a friend of mine
who suggested something that I could change that would make the whole thing
a lot nicer.

Basically, I started out with a fairly complex natural language front-end.
Everything, from the players' input to commands/functions could be written
in (almost perfect) English and the mud would understand.  My friend
suggested I seperate the parser from the mud and design an API so that
parsers for other languages could be added easily.  That meant I also had to
encode the output from the mud to be language independent.

That was about a year ago and I've finally gotten to a stage where it's
starting to fall together.  Admittedly it doesn't do much - you can connect
to an English or German meta-client and it sends back a welcome message in
that particular language.

You can't actually do anything yet, I'm still trying to work out how to
handle the login part - don't particular want it parsed, although it could
make for an interesting char-gen sequence.

The rest of the design isn't anything special but thankfully most of it was
salvagable from previous attempts so it's mostly done and stable.

Chris
--
christ at rd.bbc.co.uk   #include <stddisclaimer.h>   http://www.fysh.org/~maddy

   "So this is really me? A no-style gimbo with teeth druids could use as a
       place of worship" - Duaine Dibley (Red Dwarf - "Back to Reality")

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu