[MUD-Dev] Sockets

Thu May 13 22:51:50 CEST 1999

[Daniel Garcia:]

> I can't speak for linux, but I can speak for BeOS...  I took the CD mud
> driver, threaded just the input handling.  We increased 10-fold the number
> of simultaneous user connections (one of the guys that I work with has
> a program that logs into the mud, and does commands and measures response
> time) - and even then, that was because we hit a hardcoded limit in the
> driver for number of simultaneous connections...

Is that a 10 times speedup over non-threaded on BeOS, or 10 times speedup
over non-threaded on Linux on the same box? If the latter, then I am
indeed impressed. If the former, then, er, I'm not. :-)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu