[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Emil Eifrem emil at prophecy.lu
Fri May 14 01:17:55 CEST 1999

At 01:02 AM 5/12/99 , J C Lawrence wrote:

>Emil Eifrem <emil at prophecy.lu> wrote:
>> Lately I've beginning to doubt this modular approach. It sounds
>> very good in concept and on an abstract level, but when you get
>> down to some real code it's partly really messy and
>> troublesome.
>
>This is of course why you need to throw your first attempt away --
>you learn all the painful lessons so you can do it right the next
>time.

But I want it to be be all right and elegant and supergood this time! I
know, I know "Plan to throw away the first version. You will, anyhow." --
but still. I was sort of hoping that the ROM derivative we started out with
could be that throw-away version. :)

[snip]
>Modular systems are typically easy to implement as long as the
>divisions between modules are clean and functionally useful.  If
>they're not you're in for a nightmare attempting to wedge a design
>onto a solution it doesn't really fit.
>
>Now you see why I've thrown out and started again from scratch so
>many times, and am about to again.  Learning curves.

Yes. Have you also redesigned the mud game-wise? I mean, I can see a
situation where one is forced (or wants to) throw away an old version and
starting from scratch code wise. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you
will have to build a new game (new stats, algorithms, etc). But if you
*are* doing this, with all that goes with it (playerwipe, etc), how does
your playerbase survive? Does your playerbase survive?

>> I've been toying with the idea of writing down my overall design
>> decisions and post it to the list for comments but never gotten
>> around to it.
>
>Go on, be a devil.

Hmm. Nod, I did. Methinks it's classified pretty much as a rambling.

>> You'd all probably laugh anyway. ;)
>
>Well, of course, but we'll also explain the joke.

I expect no less!

[ - - - -
Emil Eifrem [emil at prophecy.lu || www.prophecy.lu/~emil]
Implementor of Prophecy [telnet://mud.prophecy.lu:4000]
Coordinator of the Jamu effort [http://www.javamud.org]
                                              - - - - ]

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu