[MUD-Dev] Sockets

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat May 15 13:09:19 CEST 1999

On 02:37 PM 5/13/99 +0100, I personally witnessed Nicholas Lee jumping up
to say:

>On Tue, 11 May 1999, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I'm going to be porting my server's Windows codebase over to
>> one or more flavors of UNIX (Linux, and anything else it turns out to
>> compile properly under), so if I do threads (which I may not) we'll have
>> something to benchmark.
>
>Although you have to be careful.  You can only properly compare optimised
>source bases.   It's no good to just get it to compile, since that would
>hardly be a fair comparison.

I'll be optimising for Red Hat Linux. I will *not* be specifically porting
to any other UNIX flavor, so anything other than RHL will either work or
not work based purely on whether it compiles cleanly and operates properly.
(I *may* also optimise for Solaris at a later date, but this is not a
priority. HP-UX and AIX are right out.) IOW, if it compiles and works on
BSD, cool -- if it doesn't, tough. ;)

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu