[MUD-Dev] Marc Hernandez' Server

Jay Carlson nop at mitre.org
Sun May 16 21:01:05 CEST 1999

Greg Munt writes:

> Beware the LotR influence. In my opinion, the majority of fantasy in the
> latter half of this century was produced by Tolkien disciples.
> Now, I'm not
> saying Tolkien was bad - far from it - but too much of *anything*
> is always
> a bad thing. For example, compare Tolkien's creatures to the AD&D classes
> and races. (Elves especially. I'm sick of these peace-loving
> woodfolk; it is
> SO ridiculous to embody an entire race with the same characteristics.. And
> then when they vary, turn them into another race entirely - dark elves!)

Does anyone on this list remember a series of ads from circa 1985, for sure
was in Dragon in that time period that showed a bizarre looking creature
leering at you with text like:

    NO ELVES.

    In [game system name] we have astral herbalists, byith, water-slavers,
[...continued list of intriguing creature names...], and best of all....no
elves.

I think I would have bought the game on sight if any of the local gaming
stores had carried it.  Might make an interesting design strategy or promo
campaign to make a big point that *nothing* from Asgard is in this mud.

Jay

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu