[MUD-Dev] Planes of existance

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at wolfskeep.com
Sun May 16 23:23:36 CEST 1999

In message:  -- UNKNOWN --
             "Greg Munt" <greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In the real world, death has a major impact on our activities. It (along
>with pain) causes fear - and therefore power, to those dealing it out. Also,
>people alter their behaviour, and do *anything they can* to avoid it. There
>are few things more powerful than our fear of death - love being one of
>them. I'm sure there are many more examples, but I'll just stick with these,
>for now.

You've got a huge cultural bias, here.  Have we forgotten
the 'fate worse than death', and the astounding frequency
with which people will gladly die rather than be shamed?

Personally (due to a peculiar religion), I view death as
at worst a nuisance, rather than as something to be feared.
In most cases, it is something to be cherished.  This is
not to say I'm in favor of random killing sprees (I'm not),
but death is a necessary part of life.  Without death there
is only stagnation (or worse, cancer).

As the Romans are reputed to have said: come back with your
shield or on it.

>Who remember's Infocom's "Floyd The Droid"? (I forget which game
>he was in.) I remember being saddened when he 'died'.

Floyd is in both Planetfall and Stationfall.  His death scene
is in Planetfall... and I was saddened not by his death, but by
the beautiful prose that it was described with.  I was actually
quite glad he was gone, since he was a ruddy nuisance, always
wandering in or out at inopportune moments, rarely there when
you needed him.  As useful as relying on a stray cat.

- Alex

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu