[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded mud server.

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 17 01:15:01 CEST 1999

On 17 May 99,, Ross Nicoll wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 1999, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> > If I'm correct in this understanding, and please correct me if I'm not,
> > then the "proper" way to implement such a scheme would be for each thread
> > to accomplish specific *tasks* instead of handling specific *objects*. So
> > instead of a series of "do things with an object" threads, you would have a
> > series of "do this thing" threads -- and those which are rarely if ever
> > called can be shut down entirely after a given period. For example, you
> > might have a "login" thread which handles everyone connected but not logged
> > in, a thread which handles combat, a thread which handles character
> > creation, etc.
> An interesting idea, but I think it would require too much inter-process
> communication, and in particular may not load balance very well...

Careful with that term 'inter-process communication'.  That's not the
mechanism through which threads communicate.

BTW, What processor is your telnet daemon using and when is it using it?
;)

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com             *--
--*     Mud Server Developer's Page <http://pw1.netcom.com/~jlsysinc>      *--