[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded mud server.

Ross Nicoll rnicoll at lostics.demon.co.uk
Mon May 17 18:02:00 CEST 1999

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> > An interesting idea, but I think it would require too much inter-process
> > communication, and in particular may not load balance very well...
> Careful with that term 'inter-process communication'.  That's not the
> mechanism through which threads communicate.
Unfortunately, the comp sci department here had us using pipes to
communicate between threads (wonderfully confusing), and I've only just
worked out there are easier ways *grumble*

> BTW, What processor is your telnet daemon using and when is it using it?
> ;)
Well, I'm not actually using a multi-processor box, I'm mostly writting it
multi-threaded for the experience. I also don't have a telnet daemon
running. But I'd imagine the kernel would allocate it to a processor, as
necessary, and it would use the processor whenever there was processing to
be done?
--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu