[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded mud server.

Mik Clarke mikclrk at ibm.net
Thu May 20 22:12:02 CEST 1999

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Mik Clarke:]
>
> > Modern multi tasking systems will typically execute less than a

> > thousand CPU instructions between (involuntary) context switches.

> More like 100 times that many. That's only a microsecond or three on modern
> machines!

Hmmm. I think you're right. I must have misheard the numbers.  For infoon the
number of switches per second, check out:

http://www.s390.ibm.com:80/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/IEA1W110/B%2e0?SHELF=E0Z1IN70

(and sorry, the URL won't wrap any better).  The modern processors are
the 9675 G5 Models, about a quarter of the way into the document.  MIP
ratings for the individual processors are around 100-130 mainframe (that's
500-600 intel). A fully configured system would have 10 G5 processors (or
12 of the newer G6 processors) and several gigabytes of RAM.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu