[MUD-Dev] ScryMUD 1.9.3 released.

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 28 01:31:23 CEST 1999

On 25 May 99,, Ben Greear wrote:

> There are several interesting things in this realease.  First, I've
> added rudimentary hooks for multi-lingual capability.  Check out the
> translations.spec and the say(...) method in commands.cc for some
> prototype code.  This will allow a spanish speaker to see:
>
> Grock habla 'foo'
> and an English speaker to see:
> Grock says 'foo'
>
> Obviously I need to find someone fluent to translate :)

I have been using AltaVista's Babelfish quite a bit, since I read a lot
of foreign newspapers.  I think it's up there with sliced bread. ;)
Languages which have a similar sentence structure to English work very
well.  While others that use backwards sentences or dozens of genders
are more difficult to comprehend.  Relatively to English that is. :P

They also have stand-alone retail versions.  Perhaps one might integrate
such a product into a mud.  I'm not sure about APIs or royalties and what
not.

  <URL http://babelfish.altavista.com/>

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com             *--