[MUD-Dev] [TECHNICAL] How to generate pre-processor output (template problem).

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Fri May 28 17:28:05 CEST 1999

Ben Greear wrote:

> I added a cute little templated array class, and everything works like

How does it differ from the standard C++ vector template? (I'm being
lazy and asking, since I haven't had a chance to look at the latest scry
release)

> a missing symbol (*puke*).  To add to the fun, its mangled so badly I haven't a
> real clue what it really is supposed to be.  Also, I have neither root nor the
> permission to install a new compiler or any other useful software
> on the BSD box.

If you have access to a similar machine, you could compile it with egcs
and transfer the binary to the machine you run it on.

> So the question is, anyone know how to get the compiler to spit out the
> pre-processed code so I can take a look at what line it's complaining about?

I don't have 2.7.x on hand, but with egcs-1.1.2 on my NT box, "g++
--help" indicates that the "-E" option should run only the preprocessor
stage and "-save-temps" should run a full compile while leaving
temporary files on disk. A quick test seems to indicate that -E will get
you preprocessor output dumped to stdout, so that should be what you're
looking for.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu