[MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game"

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Tue Nov 9 11:14:09 CET 1999

On 11/8/99, at 6:56 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>Communities enclude people you don't like as well as people who do
>things you don't like.  The defining line between "don't like" and
>"damaging" is entirely subjective.  Realise that you opinion of what
>the game definition and purpose are, are not likely to be shared by
>your players to any level of detail, and in fact your players will
>have slightly more opinions about what the game is really about than
>there are players.

You are correct, up to a point...  We only deal with people that actually
break rules or harrass people on Discworld...  Examples of harrassment are
like the case we had just recently where some guy was logging on for the
sole purpose to slander another player.  They even told us that their only
purpose in logging on was to slander this particular person and annoy them
as much as they possibly could.

This kind of behaviour is just not really possible in a normal society
since you would have to do it to someone's face.  Either you would end up
being excluded from society (by people not inviting you to things any more)
or the other person would.  So I guess we modeled this on the mud by
deleteing the guy :)

Good luck!
David.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu