[MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game"

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Wed Nov 10 12:04:14 CET 1999

On 10 Nov 1999, Miroslav Silovic wrote:
> Well, again... If the game has support for funny bones, that would be
> okay. But what if it didn't? What if funny bones were result of some
> obscure bug - just an admin oversight? Frankly, I wouldn't feel like
> negotiating with players who would 'punish' me for my coding
> oversights. I'd just wipe them out. All of them. :)

For what it's worth, I explictly state in the rules that bugs may be abused
to your heart's content as long as you first inform the admin.  Knowing
that players will abuse the hell out of any bug that happens to slip
by me encourages me to audit my code a little more closely the first
time around, and make sure those bugs don't happen.

Secondly, it means that I don't have to be a nazi about something that
was really my mistake to begin with.

And finally, it means I get more bug reports: players are going to abuse
the bugs either way, but if they know it's okay as long as they just
tell me about it, I tend to hear about them early rather than discovering
them myself at a later date.

Just another approach.  Don't know how this would really work on a larger
scale.

Adam W.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu