[MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game"

Thu Nov 11 02:22:51 CET 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:
>   All bugs are fair game and may be exploited as wished as long as
> you report them beforehand.  Exploitation of non-reported bugs (not
> reported by the exploiter) are rewarded with character or player
> deletion.

How will players know that it is a bug?  The assumption that players will
think of an advantage as a bug assumes a rather homogenous imitating world
and a knowledgeable player base?

Example: If I get one million gold for selling my first mushroom to a troll
in the mountains, does that make it a bug?  I would call it a fortunate
incident.

I think it is rather naive to expect the average user to report such things.
(Of course, there may be people that report your features as bugs too!). I
wonder if admins kick people out because they exploit things, or because the
exploitations make the admins' possibly lacking design/coding abilities very
visible! :^)

Note 1: I'd rather not use a MUD where I have to learn all the tiny bugs in
order to avoid stepping on them. That leaves little room for user innovation
and immersion.

Note 2: I rarely submit bug reports in general because it is troublesome,
unless the MUD has a snappy bug command.  Besides, other people are likely
to have done it already.  I don't like to do wasted work in my spare time.

Note 3: Some designers are inclined to call design flaws "bugs". It looks
better to make typos than admitting that your ideas are unworkable...
--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu