bugs (was RE: [MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game")

Sellers Sellers
Thu Nov 11 15:00:49 CET 1999

Holly Sommer wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Ola Fosheim =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=3DF8stad?=3D =
wrote:
> > Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > >=20
> > > They are.  So are errors in the terrain (for example, a =
description of
> > > a door which claims to have a large lock on it, but trying to =
lock or
> > > unlock the door reports that the door has no lock), or anything =
else
> > > which breaks the consistency and enjoyment of your game world.
> >=20
> > A bug is usually considered (for historical reasons) to be a defect =
in
the
> > implementation, not the design.  It's when you didn't write what =
you
> > intended to write. Or in the historical context, when a  wire has =
been
> > accidentally removed (by a bug :9.
> >=20
> > That's how I use the term anyway.
>=20
> At work here, I've heard more than one engineer refer to bugs as=20
> "features without the tuxedos."

Yep -- there's an old programmer's cartoon about this.  Bugs can be =
design
flaws, logic flaws, or simple errors in programming.  Splitting hairs
between design flaws and implementation flaws is a programmer's way of
looking at the world: the user sure doesn't care if you meant to do =
that or
not.  If it doesn't work the way it *should*, it's a bug. =20

And, to return to the previous discussion, if a bug is known and =
someone
repeatedly uses it to their own advantage, well, they deserve whatever =
they
get in the end.

Mike Sellers

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu