[MUD-Dev] Admins as Mortals

Philip Loguinov -- Draymoor fibhufky at erols.com
Mon Nov 15 16:50:56 CET 1999

From: Mik Clarke <mikclrk at attglobal.net>

>Philip Loguinov -- Draymoor wrote:
>>
>> I've been thinking on this because thats a situation i'm faced with. I
want
>> to make
>> the staff (builders, admins, etc) players in the eyes of the mud, with
some
>> special
>> abilities. Builders could be carpenters, blacksmiths, etc. Admins or
coders
>> could
>> be in politics (this is an RP mud) etc.
>>
>> All that is a very nice concept i think, however, i can see from the
start
>> there would
>> be serious problems that could arrise, like builder corruption or
player's
>> sucking up.
>> Has anyone tried this? Can someone see something i could do to make this
>> work
>> smoothly or at least some problems i may  have missed.
>
>Well, I'm not sure it's so different from a ROM with OLC.  Player
>mechanics
>are much the same except that they can edit areas.  The only major
>benefit from being an immortal/god is that they get listed in a
>different
>section on who and cannot be killed.  They also get a number of rather
>powerful world changing commands and a newbie free chat channel.
>
>Does your approach means that whole teams of builders would have to
>work together on areas? Stone masons, carpenters, black smiths,
>warlocks,
>necromancers, demonologists? All working together to produce the 'evil
>wizards tower themepark'?

It doesn't mean that builders have to work together on a project. What it
does
is allow player commissioned items, rooms, etc. I'm using a gridded room
system for my world (can post the specs on that if anyone wants to know),
and
am going to have a rather natural development thing for the world along with
planned building. People can start new towns or expand on new ones by
contracting masons or carpenters or whatnot. What a builder is authorized
to build is determined by their job and such. Certain things might have to
be
approved by the head builder though, as if it were a new area.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu