[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Mon Nov 15 19:10:33 CET 1999

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Philip Loguinov -- Draymoor wrote:
[snip]
> Please explain why you want people to drop very solid source
> codes simply because you are upset you can't use them to make
> money.

Please explain to us why you stopped beating your wife.

> These source codes are provided to people who want to
> run a mud for fun to save them work. Why would people who
> mud/run muds for a _hobby_ drop source codes provided to them
> under no cost or expectation.

So that they can ask for donations on the login page without worrying
whether it violates the license agreement.  So that they can have their
mud included among the Red Hat or Debian packages some day.  So they can
use their mud as a virtual office for real work.  So they can use their
mud as a classroom which they charge people to attend.  I'm sure there's
several more I can't think of right now.

> The only reason i can see is to force
> people to use commercial code bases, code from scratch, or play
> commercial muds

The fact that these are the only reasons you see do not make them the only
reasons.

Also, to the original poster, I believe MOO (http://www.moo.mud.org/),
CoolMud (not in active development, but available at
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/sfwhite/), PerlMOO
(http://kitenet.net/programs/perlmoo/), Muq (http://www.muq.org/), and
maybe POO (http://strout.net/python/poo/) fit your requirements.

Andru
| Andru Luvisi                 | http://libweb.sonoma.edu/		 |
| Programmer/Analyst           |   Library Resources Online              |
| Sonoma State University      | http://www.belleprovence.com/		 |
| luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu      |   Textile imports from Provence, France |

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu