[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Tue Nov 16 08:15:29 CET 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Philip Loguinov -- Draymoor wrote:

> > These source codes are provided to people who want to
> > run a mud for fun to save them work. Why would people who
> > mud/run muds for a _hobby_ drop source codes provided to them
> > under no cost or expectation.
>
> So that they can ask for donations on the login page without worrying
> whether it violates the license agreement.  So that they can have their
> mud included among the Red Hat or Debian packages some day.  So they can
> use their mud as a virtual office for real work.  So they can use their
> mud as a classroom which they charge people to attend.  I'm sure there's
> several more I can't think of right now.

The original poster, however, did not say that he felt that codebases
should be developed which allow these things -- he said that he wanted the
*community* to drop these codebases.  In other words, he doesn't want
*anyone* to use them, regardless of their motivation for running a mud.

Perhaps that's not what he intended to say, but that is the meaning of
what he wrote.

> > The only reason i can see is to force
> > people to use commercial code bases, code from scratch, or play
> > commercial muds
>
> The fact that these are the only reasons you see do not make them the only
> reasons.

What other reasons can there be that would require not the freedom to
choose another codebase, but forcing *everyone* to not use those
codebases?  Personally, I can't think of *any* good reason why someone who
wants to use those codebases should be prevented from doing so.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu