[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Ilya Ilya
Wed Nov 17 09:16:40 CET 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:09:52 -0600 (EST), Travis S. Casey wrote:

))On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Lars Duening wrote:
))> On 15.11.99 at 16:48 Ilya, Game Commandos wrote:
))
))> >I plan to strongly espouse that the hobbyist community dump all of the restricted
))> >code bases (the DIKU line, nearly all the LPC line, and just about everybody else >actually!)
))>
))> I'd love to remove the "no monetary gain" clause from lpmud, however, most of the
))> contributors of former years have vanished off the net and can't be asked if they
))> changed their minds, so I'd have to rewrite their parts from scratch.
))
))I'll note that DGD was written from scratch to be an LP-alike, and can be
))licensed for commercial use.  Beek has indicated in the past that he's
))gotten permission from the original LPmud copyright holder to license
))MudOS for commercial use, but I don't know if he's done so.
))
))With an LP, you'd still need a mudlib.  The two mudlibs for DGD may be
))licensable, but I'm not sure.  However, writing a mudlib isn't as
))difficult as writing a mud from scratch.

As I'm sure most on this group are likely aware, the owner of the rights to
DGD is Acuity, and they sold to Skotos the only commercial-use license
that I know of.  Skotos did, however, also get the right to resell to others
a commercial-use license.  Jump right in with corrections there, Chris!

--
  Ilya, Game Commandos     http://www.gamecommandos.com

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu