[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Wed Nov 17 11:54:19 CET 1999

Colin Coghill wrote:
> I'd be interested to read them, as my personal feelings lean not
> towards stopping people making money, but definately towards encouraging
> people to put improvements back into the community. I feel that once
> money making gets involved, it acts as a disincentive to share.
>
> When I write code, I'd feel somewhat "used" if someone snapped it up
> and used it to make themselves rich (like that's going to happen :) )
> without putting anything back.

When I release a project, I do it for one of two reasons... either to
make money or just to contribute something. If I want to contribute
something, I'm happy if it's used, no matter how people choose to use
it. Otherwise, I don't release source. That's why I never release
anything as GPL--it smells too much like a legal trap designed to make
it look like generosity when it isn't. LGPL and MPL aren't so bad,
although I don't use them myself.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu