[MUD-Dev] Sony's EverQuest Admits Using Diku

rnicoll at respc-jrn.res.st-andrews.ac.uk rnicoll at respc-jrn.res.st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:17:39 CET 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Locke wrote:

> During Bernard Yee's presentation, he framed the entire demonstration
> by saying that Sony's EverQuest was based on DikuMUD -- which I found at
> first flattering (being a member of the mudding community) and then
> later, perplexing.  Does the Diku Group know this?  Have they been
> compensated?
I have to say; based on Diku doesn't necessarily mean it used their
source, so much as the design was based on the Diku one. To be honest, I
cannot (personally) think of anything in the Diku server that it would be
easier to copy than to rewrite for a graphical MUD.
--
 /_) / / (_  (__	http://wired.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~rnicoll/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu