[MUD-Dev] Languages for MUD drivers

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Nov 18 12:08:50 CET 1999

Ian Macintosh wrote:
> The reason why I believe this is better than using RPC or whatever to
> load balance based on events, is that I can't get away from the
> requirement that one system has to be the master, or own, a particular
> piece of the MUD.
>
> i.e., Server B handles Midgaard, and as such, if *anyone* or *any
> server* wants to know the exact state of Market Square, it must find
> out here.  If there are two servers possibly handling the same piece
> of real estate, who's version is the right one?  Likewise, Server E
> controls the Grand Mistress of Magic sitting on her throne in the High
> Tower of Sorcery.  If you want to know her status, you find that out
> by querying Server E.

I dunno, it sounds to me like the cure is potentially much worse than
the disease. This seems to suggest lots of locking and waiting. I prefer
the LC&C approach of operating on independent copies and throwing away
changes in the event of a collision.

Now might be a good time for JCL to chime in :)
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu