[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Fri Nov 19 11:18:58 CET 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Ben Greear wrote:
> "Travis S. Casey" wrote:

> > And if you borrow as much as one line of code from any GPLed program, your
> > program is bound by the GPL -- so someone who, say, lifts the socket code
> > from a GPLed program and modifies it for their server is bound by it.
>
> I think thats a bit extreme.  I'm sure we all have a line of code that
> says something like:  int i = 0;

That's the difference between theory and practice.  In theory, copyright
protects against *any* copying.  In practice, to prove copyright
infringement, it has to be proven that you pulled something from their
work.  To sue someone over an "int i = 0;" in a program would be like
suing someone for "He said" in a novel -- it's such a common construct
that no one could take it seriously.

> As for select loops, I don't know.  You can always rip out their code
> and write your own loop if some (zealot) calls you on something like that.
> As someone else mentioned, there are only so many ways to write a select loop...

>From a legal standpoint, the same thing applies -- select loops are such a
common construct that any vaguely competent lawyer would rip a suit based
on one to shreds.  However, copying from GPLed programs can still pose a
problem on a moral or ethical level -- I personally avoid using GPLed
programs as references when writing my own programs, for that reason.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu