[MUD-Dev] Re: Player statistics calculation

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Fri Nov 19 14:12:30 CET 1999

--On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 6:59 PM +0100 "B. Schulte"
<bs at hamburg.roses.de> wrote:

> What is sadly missing up to date is keeping track of the number
> new users, which I
> think gives also important information about the "healthiness" of
> a mud.

  Well, yes and no. If you track both visitors and new characters,
and the numbers are equal, that's a pretty good sign of health.
Cases where one number is greater than the other by a wide margin
are too far open to interpretation.

  Astaria, as a case study, has an *extremely* high number of new
characters for its population. This is not an indicator of health,
however, since the vast majority of those new characters are
second, third, or even fourth(!) characters for the same people, or
are re-starting high level characters who've decided to change
guilds or allegiances.

  I'm tempted to stick with the touchstone of number of users per
hour and average session time per guest.

Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu