[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 19 22:56:57 CET 1999

Ilya wrote:

>I think I've begun to gain familiarity with the popularity of CoolMUD
>(especially if that may be measured in the number of references to it,
>and recommendations of it).  Still, not being a driver programmer, I
>am hesitant to spend much effort on what appears to be an oft-admired
>but otherwise untouched driver.  Is there any activity out there that
>recommends it further?

I would note that the popularity of a driver is proportional to the
availablity of complete or almost finished game worlds.
In particular, the absence of hardcode or a softcode library that
defines a minimum working set of game mechanics seems to
be a limiting factor in interest rather than a world or areas.
There seems to be a strong  aversion toward designing a game
and much less aversion to coding one.

>In other words, I don't mind walking there, or swimming there, or
>whatever, but I am not sure I'm ready to go that way entirely alone.

The only thing that CoolMud lacks is the attentions of a mud game
designer.  There are even fewer of those than there are mud coders. >:->

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email: jlsysinc at nospam.ix.netcom.com     *--
--*     Mud Server Developer's Page <http://jlsysinc.home.netcom.com>      *--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu