Distribution schemes (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Languages for MUD drivers)

Ian Macintosh iman at issystems.co.nz
Sat Nov 20 07:48:25 CET 1999

    > Koster, Raph wrote:

My focus is very much the bottom rung of Maslow.  I don't plan go very
high either.  Anything higher than base motivations are *real* AI, and
I'm not aiming there.

    > Ask yourself whether anyone cares if an antelope falls
    > in the woods if there
    > is nobody there to see it. Then assess your design and
    > ask yourself some
    > tough questions about your objectives with the system.

The example I used was just generic to convey the idea.  You are quite
right re the importance, and I'm steering clear of that like the
plague.  I am just focusing on a more goal oriented, non-linear, event
driven approach to mob-progs than the traditional canned brain-dead
and puppet-like automation found everywhere else.  I am trying to aim
for an opponent with smarts.  About the highest I think I'll go on the
intelligence scale is a revenge motivation.  I do want mobs to learn a
bit from experience as well, via a simple reward/punishment filter.
If I find it un-workable in practice, I'll just lobotomise the
ancestor object :^)

I must admit that some of the drive I have in playing in this area is
just plain fun, nice to fiddle with, I enjoy it stuff.  On the cold
hearted business front, my only justification is seeing how hard I can
push the envelope.

Thanks for the advice :-)

Regards,

Ian.