[MUD-Dev] Fair/Unfair? Scenarios (fwd)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Nov 28 14:30:16 CET 1999

On Thu 25 Nov, J C Lawrence wrote:

> What exactly should a player be assured of in approaching a game
> problem?

>  - Scenario A -
> When running through a quest, a player inadvertently enters into a room
> in the quest wherein a mobile of significant strength is located.  Once
> the player has entered the room, the exits of the room are removed or
> barred.
> Prior to entering this room, the player had no clue or warning that
> this mobile might be present and therefore has no reasonable way of
> knowing what lies therein.

This is nothing more than an elaborate deathtrap. If the mud has such
things  it may not be unreasonable  to have something like this,  but
even then players,  I think,  have a right to have a reasonably clear
warning about the dangers.  Not necessarily to allow them to prepare,
but more to allow them prevent the danger.  Courtesy rules that apply
to deathtraps should apply to this scenario.

> - - Scenario B -
> This has less to do with a specific occurence a player might run into
> within a quest and more to do with a quest on a high level.

> Should quests be self-contained?  Meaning...should you be given the
> tools necessary to complete the quest within the zone area of the quest
> itself?  Or, is it reasonable to expect a player come equipped with
> tools/equipment from other quests that have nothing to do with the
> current quest but may be required to complete the quest.

I am inclined to say that it is better to not have a quest area to be
self-contained. However, my reason for this has little to do with the
question being asked, but is more from a (world)builder point of view
The more integrated  the areas are,  the more complete  the gameworld
'feels'  and the easier it becomes to immerse in the game.  This is a
moderately good thing to strive for when building a gameworld. From a
gameplay point of view  the game has become just that little bit more
challenging as well. To complete a scenario it is no longer enough to
rise to a sufficiently high level,  the player  must also learn about
the gameworld, and how things interact in it.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey