[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Oct 5 16:34:02 CEST 1999

On 12:57 PM 10/4/1999 -0700, I personally witnessed Matthew Mihaly jumping
up to say:

>Hmm, I wasn't aware it was possible for a server to determine if a
>player's client can decode colour. How is this done?

If I remember right: ESC[6n is a "cursor position report" request. If the
client groks ANSI, it responds with the current position of the cursor.
Another method I've seen used is ESC[2J followed by the AVATAR code to move
down one line and *then* the cursor position report; if your result is
"0,2" then you know that the client supports ANSI but not AVATAR, if it's
"1,0" then you know it supports AVATAR and ANSI. Note also that if the
client reverses the X and Y coordinates, the responses are still distinct.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu