[MUD-Dev] Algorithms for an Infinite Universe

Quzah quzah at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 03:17:25 CEST 1999

From: Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag at ifi.uio.no>
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Algorithms for an Infinite Universe

> There's an article with the above title at:
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990917/infinite_01.htm
>
> The formal aspects seems to be missing, so it should be readable also for
> the more pragmatic hobbyist. Pseudo random generated universes are of course
> very suitable for MUDs with intelligent clients.

Is it just me, or is this guy totally, 100% wrong? I've
tried both by following his explanation, and by just taking
his code, to get his pesudo-random number generator to
work, and it doesn't. He's wrong. Neither his explanation,
nor his code, work as described. (Hell, his code just
doesn't work.) You'd think that one would make sure the
code actually worked before getting an article published!

A quick copy-paste into a text file and his pseudo-random
generator returns all zeros for the random numbers. Sad.

Quzah.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu