[MUD-Dev] Algorithms for an Infinite Universe

Jp Calderone exarkun at flashmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:45:12 CEST 1999

Quzah wrote:

> From: Ola Fosheim Grøstad <olag at ifi.uio.no>
> Subject: [MUD-Dev] Algorithms for an Infinite Universe
>
> > There's an article with the above title at:
> > http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990917/infinite_01.htm
> >
> > The formal aspects seems to be missing, so it should be readable also for
> > the more pragmatic hobbyist. Pseudo random generated universes are of course
> > very suitable for MUDs with intelligent clients.
>
> Is it just me, or is this guy totally, 100% wrong? I've
> tried both by following his explanation, and by just taking
> his code, to get his pesudo-random number generator to
> work, and it doesn't. He's wrong. Neither his explanation,
> nor his code, work as described. (Hell, his code just
> doesn't work.) You'd think that one would make sure the
> code actually worked before getting an article published!
>
> A quick copy-paste into a text file and his pseudo-random
> generator returns all zeros for the random numbers. Sad.
>
> Quzah.

That is pretty sad.  I read the article, but didn't get as far
as trying any of his code.

Don't dimiss Algorithmic play-space generation based on one
poor explanation of it though.  I'm working on a game now that
pretty much generates everything using the principle, and it is
working great so far.  With a /functioning/ prandom sequence
generator you can do great things, one of the neatest (imho)
being the fact that you can represent your entire game-space
as a single sequence-seed.

--
When my fist clenches crack it open,      And if I swallow anything evil,
Before I use it and lose my cool.         Put you finger down my throat.

No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man.
Behind blue eyes.  No one knows what its like to be hated, to be fated,
To telling only lies.
                        -- The Who

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu