[MUD-Dev] weather

Mik Clarke mikclrk at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 20:10:43 CEST 1999

Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm wondering if any of you have good weather systems in your
> game, and if so, how it works. Achaea's weather "system" at the moment is
> a pile of crap, and I've designed a new one. I'm hoping that you all can
> suggest some improvements. I'm reasonably happy with my design, but there
> is definitely room for improvement.

[BIG SNIP]

I've just ripped a somewhat simpler system out of CthulhuMud, mainly
because it didn't seem to produce interesting results.  I replaced it
with a simple transitional matrix for the core weather and a climate
interpretation for each area.

The matrix simply gives the chance in 100 of going from the current
weather to the new type of weather (clear, cloudy, rain, storms). I
think I have a different matrix for each season.  Once the weather
changes I generate a duration of how many (game) hours it will last.
At the end of that time I generate another transition.

Each area has a climate and this interprets the base weather to give
the areas weather.  For a desert, they almost all map to sunny and dry.
For the arctic, they map to clear and cold, clouds, snow and blizzards.

Quick and simple, and so far no one has complained that it's
unrealistic.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu